Mildew in your home isn’t just unattractive, it can be harmful to your health. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) warns that exposure to mold can cause allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory complaints. When you spot mold growing in your home, it’s important to figure out how it got there and get rid of it right away.
Mildew is what happens when mold spores take hold and multiply on a surface. Mold spores are all around us, but they need the right environment to grow and multiply. Mold spores need water so, they favor areas that are damp, dark and poorly ventilated. Basements, bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms are common places to find mildew spots.
Mildew can usually be removed with a mixture of water and bleach, but a smart homeowner can stop mildew before it even starts.
Mildew in your home isn’t just unattractive, it can be harmful to your health. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) warns that exposure to mold can cause allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory complaints.
Use mildew resistant paint in areas of your home that you know are more prone to moisture. When selecting paint for your home, go for high-quality paint with a one- or two-year guarantee. When you use it, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions to the letter, or else the paint might not be as effective as it should be. Also, prime the area before you paint. You cannot just paint over a mildewed area of your home because the mildew will just appear again. You must first clean the area completely before you paint.
2.Water, water everywhere
Mildew loves moisture so look for places in your home where it could linger. Check for your roof for leaks. Check for leaky pipes and faucets, too. Wipe down places where condensation can collect – like windows or the walls of your bathrooms. “Common sources or causes of water or moisture problems include roof leaks, deferred maintenance, condensation associated with high humidity or cold spots in the building, localized flooding due to plumbing failures or heavy rains, slow leaks in plumbing fixtures and malfunction or poor design of humidification systems,” says the EPA.
3.Air it out
Mold and mildew also favor places that are poorly ventilated. The EPA suggests homeowners reduce the indoor humidity in their homes by venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources. The group also suggests using air conditioners and de-humidifiers, increasing ventilation and using exhaust fans when cooking, cleaning or using a dishwasher.
4.Keep it Clean
Give your home a thorough cleaning on a regular basis. Cleaning will help you get to know the places in your home that are more prone to mold. You can use a mixture of water and bleach in a spray bottle to spot clean mildew spots you might find. Cleaning small spots as soon as you find them means you won’t have to do major work on a giant mess that has been allowed to grow unchecked.
Mildew is ugly, gross, can cause discoloration and can even make you sick. There’s nothing to like about it at all. However, take the right precautions and you will make sure this uninvited guest stays away for good.